Santa Catalina –Depto. Totoral - Córdoba
54 9 0351 155503752 54 9 0351 157627861
Responsible entityCouncil of Administration: Governor: Ms. Elvira de la Torre, Curatorship: Arch. Daniel M. de la Torre
Yes, they have a management plan. It is part of a network called Red Conjuntos Jesuíticos de Córdoba and also part of the Slave Route Cordoba Group.
National monument Inscribed on the World Heritage List
Religious-ceremonial site Workplace Settlement Place of confinement
Residential – Religious and tourist
Productive, residential and missionary
Heritage documents under its protection
It has an archive which has been permanently increased with documents, digitalization and transcriptions.
It has information regarding the various valuations and inventories.
Works in paper have been protected according to preventive conservation standards. Training and advice has been received from other Jesuit Estates and the Regional Centre for the Preservation of Works in Paper.
Use given to this documentation: Internal use for the work of inventory and classification as well as other research. Occasionally, with the due conservation measures, it is used in research projects.
Expressions of intangible heritage associated
- Celebration of the Patron Saint: Religious ceremony to honour Saint Catherine of Alexandria, consisting in nine days of prayers that end on November 25th with a mass and procession, as well as social celebratory activities. These celebrations involve the community of the region and the Gaucho groupings. The Gaucho groupings preserve the traditions mostly horsemanship.
- Pageant in homage to Saint Catherine: Promise made by Felipe Diaz (ancestor of the present owners) who in 1840, when arrested by the federal police to have his throat slit (according to the customs of the period) was set free by his jailer who recognized his former master. The tradition has been upheld every year the last Sunday of January and it involves all the descendants (including those who are not the owners of the estate) and the public in general.
A solemn mass and a procession take place with religious images, which are dressed with robes from the 18th century.
- World Heritage 2 December 2000
- National Historic Monument 14 May 1941 by Decree Nº 90.732/ 41
- identified as a memory site associated to UNESCO’s Slave Route Project. 2014