Monasterio San José de Carmelitas Descalzas (San Jose Monastery of the Barefoot Carmelites)
Monastery: 1628 May 7. Museum: 1970 December 8
Independencia No. 122, Centro, Córdoba, Povincia de Córdoba , PC: X5000IUD .
+54 0351 4281540
Links to social networks
Responsible entityEstado Municipal de Córdoba y Arzobispado de Córdoba
Others Local monument National monument
Burial place Workplace Settlement
Heritage documents under its protection
The Juan de Tejeda Religious Art Museum lodges a collection of approximately 600 volumes of primary and secondary sources and also an important number of documents from various historical periods. At present the task of uploading, registering and systematization of documents is being performed to facilitate access by researchers and specialists. The state of conservation of these documents in general is good.
A policy of access to the sources has been defined with the new management of the museum; taking into account that heritage becomes richer when consulted by the researchers. It is indispensable to facilitate access to the assets by the various publics, as well as the consults of specialists and researchers, as part of the enrichment process of knowledge and discourses.
Expressions of intangible heritage associated
- The products of the monastery were sold at the ancient gateway of the monastery (2nd hall of the museum) apart from receiving the donations from the people and purchases made by the religious community. The main productions of the Monastery were the manufactured textiles made by the nuns and the terra-cotta pottery made by the monastery´s slaves.
- The adobe pottery was originally sold at the present courtyard of the museum (the oldest cloister of the monastery). Once the slaves had made the pots, these were baked in various ovens that existed in this place.
 In relation to this production and other doings, we can offer the following information: Various bishops visited the San Jose monastery in the course of the centuries and drafted very dissimilar reports on its internal dynamics. The report of bishop José Antonio Gutiérrez de Zevallos in 1733, however, unleashed a war between the Carmelite community and the prelate, and divided the society in two parties. Gutiérrez de Zevallos had been appointed inquisitor in Cartagena de Indias and he was the twelfth bishop of the diocese of the Tucumán in 1730. He arrived in Cordoba three years after ready to establish order and discipline. Having heard from his predecessor, bishop Juan de Sarricolea, about certain irregularities at the convent, his first clash with the Barefooted Carmelites was in 1733, accusing them to of disregarding the cloister by having a large number of secular black and pardo servants who went in and out at their own will; And of selling inside the monastery pots, clay water jugs and earthen jugs that they produced in some ovens installed at the court. The confirmation of such anomalies arrived by the hand of the rector of the Colegio Máximo, the Jesuit Miguel López, confessor of the Carmelites.
Accompanied by six men, between priests and public officers, the Bishop went over to the monastery on December 4, 1733 and interviewed six nuns under oath under pain of excommunication. He ascertained that there were 40 slaves, between men and women, and those 34 women, between adults and minors, shared the enclosure with the nuns, of whom 13 were Spanish and the rest, free and slaves. Moreover, some of the free women were married and at dusk they went back to sleep with their husbands and the unmarried slaves went out in the daytime and came back to sleep in the convent. The only ones that never left the cloister were the 13 white women. The prelate also found out that some nuns had their own private business with the manufacturing of pottery. They had ovens where the maids and the slaves made pots, jugs and large earthenware jars, in many cases of big dimensions, so that it was impossible to get them through the turnstile and this resulted in the assiduous opening of the door, in addition to the constant entrance of raw materials, in this case firewood and clay.
The bishop analyzed testimonies and a document with 23 articles called "Ordenaciones y reglamentos" that sought to stop the abuses committed. This document determined that anyone alien to the monastery should leave except for the necessary slaves to help the diseased persons and to continue with the business of the pots, which he transferred to the settlement (of black slaves) and turned it into a business for communal benefit and not for the particular benefit of certain nuns, with which it would generate an income to help the feeble finances of the monastery. In addition he ordered to sell the rest of slaves (around the mid 18th century the Monastery granted freedom to an important number of slaves).